Thursday, May 1, 2008

I think I want to live the sporting life

Often I think about "What ifs." It's cliche (don't know how to insert accent et gu), but a common thought process in my life nonetheless. Somehow it always circles back to "What if I was born in 1953?"

By the time I would have reached my current age (25), I'd have experienced so many awesome things (not awesome as in "cool," but more like "far beyond what is usual, normal, or customary"): Vietnam, fake moon landing, Kennedy assassination, Watergate, etc. But these would all pale in comparison to what likely would be the most powerful experience of life - the Disco era. My uncle was a DJ at Studio 54 in the 70's, which was notorious for "the hedonism that went on within; the balconies were known for sexual encounters, and drug use was rampant." My parents frequented that club. My computer almost exploded typing that.

It's not that the current nightlife scene is bad; everyone enjoys a good grind dance once in awhile. With the exception of street poets Nas, Rakim, Jay-Z and Big L, I would prefer the powerful throbbing of bass lines with harmony parts played by the harp, viola, trumpet, saxophone, clarinet, flugelhorn, French horn, tuba, English horn, and in rare cases, skinflute.

To get more specific, age 25 would place me in 1978, the year arguably the greatest track was ever released - "Good Times" by Chic. It would be an outstanding year for me. I don't think aviation insurance was invented yet, so I'd probably work as a blacksmith by day and party like a disco freak ("Le Freak!") at night. Unfortunately I am stuck in 2008, where we live with the very real threats of global warming, Y2K and a woman president.

I accept the fact that Disco is dead, but this will not stop me from paying my respects every weekend night before I head out, where I throw down two shots of Jack and shotgun a beer to "Good Times." When my buddies and I ordered a Craigslist stripper last summer, I demanded that "Good Times" be played on repeat until the temptress showed up (she never did).

I'm not trying to be ironic. I legitimately love this music and wish I was around to experience it when it was popular. I DARE you to watch this clip and not share my sentiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQMMiHpeN8&feature=related

1 comment: